- All Altra products are certified by CHEM IQ chemical screening to prevent substances of concern from entering our supply chain.
- Shoe boxes are 85% post-consumer waste and 100% recyclable
Brand Sustainability Initiatives
Each footwear brand we carry is doing their part to build a more sustainable future. Here are just a few initiatives and goals from each brand.
- 90% of running shoes contain recycled materials in 2021 and 2022.
- Since 2015, they have reduced CO2 emissions from their direct operations by 25% and have reduced CO2 emissions from their supply chain by 30.8%.
- 23.5% of renewable electricity is used in business facilities
- Goals: 63% reduction of CO2 emissions by 2030 and net-zero carbon emissions by 2050
- In 2020, diverted 88.3% of waste from landfills.
- Give Back Box Program®: Customers can reuse their online shipping boxes to donate gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories. They can fill the box their order came in with their gear, print a prepaid shipping label from the ASICS website, and send their stuff back to be recycled.
2022 sustainability numbers:
- 61% of total polyester yarn used is recycled yarn.
- Developed dope dyed sockliner top cloth, which reduces carbon emissions by 10% compared to the conventionally dyed top cloth.
- Launched Brooks' first carbon neutral footwear - the Ghost 14.
- Began partnering with Tier 1 footwear factories to develop renewable energy procurement plans.
- HOKA joined the United National Global Compact (UNGC) in 2016. The UNGC is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative.
- HOKA footwear utilized 98.13% preferred paper packaging materials and strives to remove virgin non-certified paper, and incorporate more certified and recycled paper into its packaging, such as FSC and FSC mixed paper substrates.
- HOKA'S recycled paper efforts have saved over 802,000 trees since 2016.
- 46.98% of all materials used in HOKA apparel and accessories were made of recycled, renewable, regenerated, or natural materials in 2021.
- 90% of footwear SKUs were compromised of at least one recycled, renewable, regenerated, or natural material in 2021.
- The new Wave Neo collection has the lowest environmental impact in Mizuno's running history.
- Mizuno has used a sustainable plant-derived ingredient called Pebax®Rnew®to develop shoes called WAVE PLATE, of which it has been developing multiple models at least over the past decade, and has so far sold more than ten million pairs of WAVE PLATE around the world.
- Mizuno Technics recycles 95.8% of the industrial waste it generates.
- As of 2019, New Balance sourced 47% of global electricity as renewable.
- New Balance places a green leaf next to all their products that contain environmentally preferred materials so customers know when they are buying a more “green” product.
- Goals: net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, 100% renewable electricity use by 2025, net zero waste to landfill in our footwear factories by 2025.
- Apparel labeled “sustainable materials” is made with at least 50% recycled content and shoes with the same label are made with at least 20% recycled content.
- As of FY22 64% reduction of GHG emissions in our owned or operated facitilies.
- As of FY22, 182,000+ metric tons of emissions reduced by using 39% environmentally preferred materials in our products.
- As of FY22, 97% of waste was diverted from landfills.
- Developed the Cyclon program which offers a high-performance running shoe that is 100% recyclable and can be acquired through a subscription service. Customers pay a monthly fee and receive a new pair of shoes whenever they need. Their old, used pair is recycled.
- On uses 53% recycled polyester and 63% recycled polyamide
- On uses 100% recycled packaging
- 100% renewable electricity at On Labs Zurich
- Nearly all of the styles in our apparel collection contain either recycled or more sustainable content.
- Starting in fall 2021, every new performance shoe contains recycled content
- Hangtags are 80% post-consumer waste and 20% Forest Stewardship Counsil (FSC) - certified paper stock from responsibly managed forests.
- Performance shoebox is made from a combo of 100% and 85% recycled paper and we're working toward 100% top to bottom.