- All Altra products are certified by CHEM IQ chemical screening to prevent substances of concern from entering our supply chain.
- Shoe boxes are 85% post-consumer waste and 100% recyclable
Brand Sustainability Initiatives
Each footwear brand we carry is doing their part to build a more sustainable future. Here are just a few initiatives and goals from each brand.
- 95% of running shoes contain recycled materials from 2021
- Since 2015, they have reduced CO2 emissions from their direct operations by 25% and have reduced CO2 emissions from their supply chain by 30.8%.
- 23.5% of renewable electricity is used in business facilities
- Goals: 63% reduction of CO2 emissions by 2030 and net-zero carbon emissions by 2050
- In 2020, diverted 88.3% of waste from landfills.
- Give Back Box Program®: Customers can reuse their online shipping boxes to donate gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories. They can fill the box their order came in with their gear, print a prepaid shipping label from the ASICS website, and send their stuff back to be recycled.
2020 sustainability numbers:
- 51% of total polyester volume was recycled polyester
- 66 million plastic bottles were diverted from landfills and oceans by switching to recycled polyester
- 52% of apparel fabric made with bluesign® approved materials
- Goal: net-zero carbon emissions by 2040
- Half of footwear manufacturing assembly chemicals are water-based
- 86% of adhesives are now water-based
- Works with Soles4Souls to help convert unsold or returned products to a resource for those in need. In 2020, this partnership diverted 117,000 items from ending up in landfills.
- HOKA joined the United National Global Compact (UNGC) in 2016. The UNGC is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative.
- rPET is comprised predominantly of plastic water bottles and other recycled PET packaging waste. In FY21, HOKA brand used 407,442 lbs of rPET across all of its products, which is the equivalent of over 10.9 million PET water bottles into all products.
- In FY21, HOKA footwear used 117,355 lbs of responsible cotton fibers.
- In FY21, HOKA apparel and accessories used 78,105 lbs of responsible cotton fibers.
- Hoka offers a selection of completely vegan products
- The percentage of sales from environmentally friendly products in FY 2020 totaled 93.4% of all sales from all products
- Mizuno has used a sustainable plant-derived ingredient called Pebax®Rnew®to develop shoes called WAVE PLATE, of which it has been developing multiple models at least over the past decade, and has so far sold more than ten million pairs of WAVE PLATE around the world.
- In FY 2020, Mizuno reduced industrial waste by 135 tons
- Mizuno Technics recycles 95.8% of the industrial waste it generates.
- As of 2019, New Balance sourced 47% of global electricity as renewable.
- New Balance places a green leaf next to all their products that contain environmentally preferred materials so customers know when they are buying a more “green” product.
- Goals: net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and 100% renewable electricity use by 2025.
- Apparel labeled “sustainable materials” is made with at least 50% recycled content and shoes with the same label are made with at least 20% recycled content.
- Sells refurbished shoes at select stores
- In FY 2021, greenhouse gas emissions were reduced by 44% from the prior year.
- In FY 2021, achieved 70% sustainable cotton use
- Majority of Nike’s packaging in footwear is produced with over 90% recycled content.
- Developed the Cyclon program which offers a high-performance running shoe that is 100% recyclable and can be acquired through a subscription service. Customers pay a monthly fee and receive a new pair of shoes whenever they need. Their old, used pair is recycled.
- Diverted 171,942 plastic bottles for reuse in the spring/summer 2021 collection
- Packaging uses 100% recycled, FSC-certified cardboard.
- Aim to use 100% recycled content for performance upper textiles, collar linings, and shoelaces starting in fall 2021.
- Hangtags are 80% post-consumer waste
- Performance shoebox is made from a combo of 100% and 85% recycled paper
- Vegan collection
- 93% of Skechers branded shoe boxes are fully recyclable.
- 100% of foot forms and tissue paper packaging are recyclable
- 100% of packaging materials are printed with soy or water-based ink.
- Skechers works with The Nature Conservancy to contribute a minimum of $800,000 to help protect lands and waters.